Monday, September 5, 2011

old music is a blanket

"won't you please read my signs, be a gypsy...tell me what i hope to find deep within me...because you can't find my mind, please be with me..."
words from an old eric clapton album, 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD. i find that old music is sort of a thin, comforting blanket, a worn pair of shorts, a cat in the lap. i guess listening to my high school and college music in a certain time period does it for me. i am not sure WHY that time period is so important. i was pretty unhappy and screwed up then. but i was playing my guitar, singing, escaping in a lot of ways. music was certainly probably the most important one. despite crappy things, the music seems to stay, and the memories, or at least the feelings attached to them, have faded into grey. sort of like a tv on with the sound off.

last night i spent a fast five hours downloading music from all eras, all types, all associated with something in my life. country music, music from tv shows, 60's tunes from when i was a kid, high school stuff. as i write this, i am playing the playlist entitled 1974-75. i downloaded all of the music that popped into my head from that time that was something i associated with it. there is more to download, but i was happy to have it to do what i am doing right now...listening to music that makes me relaxed and happy, and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment